Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Repost from Corbin's First

I wrote this right before Corbin's first birthday on Myspace...just wanted to move it over because it gives me a little 'awwwww' moment anytime I read it. I just love my little guy.




This Thursday my baby boy turns the big 0-1.

It's hard to believe it's been one year since I was sweating my ass off, pregnant in the July heat. One year since I swallowed Castor Oil in hopes of getting this kid outta me before he got any bigger. One year since I found out I would have to have a c-section, and I cried and cried. One year since the nurse held this little, squished, wrapped up baby up to my face so I could see who this little person was that I would love for the rest of my life.
In one year Corbin went from a little, squishy, arms flailing, colicy, soft, good smelling newborn to a strong, smart, determined, adorable, almost walking little boy. In one year I went from a totally clueless mom who had barely changed a diaper, to a slightly less clueless mom who has many diaper changes under her belt.
Things have changed. We have less money, less free time, less sleep, less room. But we have more of everything that is important. I go back and forth between not being able to believe Corbin is one, to not being able to believe that only a year ago, I didn't even know this little person who is now so important to me. I can't remember what my life was like without having to worry about his bedtime, or his crusty nose, or his carseat. I can't remember (and don't want to!) what life was like without drooly kisses and sweet baby smiles.
When Corbin was a day old, Nate came back home to spend the night. I was at the hospital all alone, and had Corbin in my room with me for as long as I could handle (I couldn't walk well or bend over, because of the c-section). That night I sat in that hospital bed, cradling Corb and just talking to him. I told him I was his mom, and I would always love him, no matter what. I told him about his home, his dad, his family, his dog. I told him that I would always take care of him, and how blessed I was to have him finally here. He was actually awake and had his big blue eyes open and staring right at me; he knew who I was, I didn't have to tell him. That was one of the very greatest moments of my life; and with all of the chaos of the c-section, the pain, the difficulty breastfeeding, the lack of sleep...THAT is the night I will remember for the rest of my life.
That is the night I met my son.

Then


Now


Happy Birthday Baby Boy. Your Momma loves you, forever.

No comments: